Latest Club News
- Our Summer Fun Fly is scheduled for Saturday, August 23rd with a rain date of Sunday, the 24th. It usually begins around 10 A.M. and lasts until 2:30 or so. It will follow our usual format with the club providing food and drinks and probably corn-on-the-cob as well. There will be a draw for some prizes for club members. Bring your family and friends (within reason) for a good day of fun.
- The new runway installation has been completed and seems to be working well. Student training has begun. Instruction days have changed and are posted on the Calendar page. The Spring Fun Fly was a success,-- good weather, good food, and good prizes. If you weren't there, you missed a great day.
- Our last 2 club meetings of the pre-season have come and gone. Our 2 scheduled Fun Flys are listed on the Calendar page. The new runway installation is taking shape with information coming from Richard Staron via email. Student training has begun.
- It looks like our umteenth annual Frozen Finger Fun Fly is on for this year. It has been an annual event ever since I can remember (at least 25 years). Nothing official is organized, just show up any time after 9:00 AM and enjoy the company of the other crazy modellers who are willing to brave the cold. Bring a plane and maybe you can boast being the first flier of 2014.
- The December meeting was held on Friday, December 6th. It was attended by about 30 members. The new executive was introduced and plans for 2014 were discussed. Hopefully some minutes will be published shortly, and then I can include them on the site.
- The November meeting has come and gone. There are 3 new faces on the executive for the 2014 season. You can see their pretty faces here.
- Guys, we have received ANOTHER complaint about people flying too close to their property on the east side of our field.....i.e. way past the railroad tracks. WE MUST KEEP AWAY FROM THE EAST SIDE OF THE FARMER'S FIELD AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. PLEASE USE ONLY 1/2 THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE END OF OUR FIELD AND THE RAILROAD TRACKS. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THE FLY TO THE RAILROAD TRACKS. THERE WILL SIGNS POSTED SHORTLY AT THE FIELD TO REMIND US ALL. (editor's note: haven't seen the signs yet) Here are the consequences.....we could lose our field quite easily! Can't make it any simpler than that!
- The Dropbox that Richard Staron has created has become quite a success. A bunch of members have put pictures of their latest creations and other things onto Dropbox for everyone to see. I have created a link to Dropbox at the bottom of this page. Just click on the icon to take you there. You can then view all the pictures. Send Richard an email and he will add your name so you can add some pictures of your own.
Tribute to John Taylor.... 1929--2013. John and I were born in the
U.K. less than a week apart and a few weeks after the Wall Street Crash.
This meant we grew up during the Great Depression, and spent our teenage
years during WWII. We built model airplanes, then quit the hobby for
more than 40 years, were conscripted into the Royal Air Force and emigrated
to Canada within months of each other. The first time we met was at the
RCFCT field. But this parallel history did give us something to talk
about between flights other than model airplanes, planes we'd like to build,
planes we did build and planes we crashed. One of the first jobs that
John had in Canada was at a Dude Ranch where he played guitar and sang
western songs, in his north London accent, and was called Slim. We
used to celebrate our "birthday week" by having lunch at the Fish and Chips
on Laird. When his cancer returned late last year he was cared for at
first by his wife Joan, who continued to care for him after he was moved
into palliative care at North York Hospital. Someone said to me "John
is a really nice guy." He was, but to me, he was more than that, he
was my friend. I am going to miss those early morning phone calls,
"Hi, are you going to the field today?" My friend passed away on the
morning of February 14th, 2013.
- In order for me to keep you guys up to date on anything of importance, I need a current email address for you. I get my information from your renewal forms that you fill in. If your email has changed recently, please advise me of your correct one. Just click on Contact Us above and send me an email. It can't get any easier.
Picture/Video of the Month
Below are four images that Rene Patricio took from the air of our new runway. They look pretty good. I finally figured out how to make them into a slideshow.